As part of the Leadership grant awarded to the University of Pretoria Library Services (UPLS) by the Carnegie Corporation of New York in 2008, the Centre for African Library Leadership at the Merensky Library, have hosted three Train-the-Trainer Programmes as a further development opportunity to selected alumni from the Carnegie Library Leadership Academies.
The Train-the-Trainer programmes have taken the development of library leadership within the South African Library and Information Services (LIS) sector a step further. The intention was to build a team of library leadership trainers who could confidently act as trainer and mentors in the professional arena. The objectives of the Programme included:
- the creation of an awareness of what effective training and facilitation involves
- an understanding of how to use ‘situational appropriate’ training and facilitation techniques
- the development of key training and facilitation skills
- and the sharing of proven LIS related facilitation and training methods
Three train-the-Trainer Programmes have been hosted with 10 participants per programme:
- July 2010 at Leriba Lodge, Centurion
- July 2011 at The Villas Hotel and Conference Centre, Arcadia, Pretoria
- April 2012 at the Cornerstone Guest House, Lynnwood, Pretoria.
Thirty librarians have been selected and 30 certificates have been awarded to 19 academic librarians and 11 public librarians.