Department of Library Services
+27 12 420 2235/6
What is interlending?
- Interlending is a service that can be used to obtain books and articles that are not available at the home library, from national and international libraries. If the item you need to get hold of is not in our library catalogue, electronic journals A-Z list, Google or Google Scholar, you can request the item from another South African or international library.
Who qualifies for interlibrary loan?
- Registered library users qualify
- Undergraduate students (1-3 year): request from branch libraries and CSIR library.
- Post graduate students (4th year, honours, Masters & PhD students). International documents can be requested if permission and cost codes have been obtained
from their departments.
- UP personnel. International documents can be requested if permission and cost codes have been obtained from their departments.
Who may not use interlibrary loan?
- Retired staff
- Tuks Alumni
- External users of the UPLS
- Day visitors
- Students and staff from other institutions ( they must submit their requests to their home libraries)
How do I register for interlibrary loan?
- Go to Interlending Registration
- Complete the online form and submit
- You will receive an interlending username and password within 48 hrs. If you do not receive a password, please contact the ILL office (firstname.lastname@example.org) or 012 420 3229
How do I submit requests?
How long does it take to obtain material?
- It depends from where we get the documents. Articles sent electronically are mostly here within 1-3 days. Books sent by South African National Library Courier Services (Gauteng province) take a maximum of 5 days. Books from CSIR and UP branch libraries take a maximum of 2 days. Books & articles sent by post from other libraries outside Gauteng province take 2-3 weeks. Books from overseas libraries take 4-5 weeks. It does however depend on the availability of the book.
How long do I keep the books?
- The maximum loan period for books is 3 months. Most libraries will issue a book for 6 weeks with one renewal for another 6 weeks.
Lending period for books requested internationally is 1 week.
Will I have to pay for documents requested via Interlending?
- National interlibrary loan services are free to all users who qualify for the services. For International requests, departments are responsible for payment of documents received. All users pay R150 per international article and R200 plus postage for books requested internationally.
Will I have to pay a fine on an interlending item that is overdue?
- A minimum fine of R 30-00 per book will be charged for an overdue book. After one month the client will be liable to pay an additional R 1-00 per book per day.
Will I have to pay a fine if I don't collect my requested documents?
- A fee of R 10, 00 per item will be charged for interlending documents not collected. It is the responsibility of users to contact the interlending staff, or to check their request file if they have not received a pick up notice after a reasonable time.
Which material may not be requested through ILL?
- Audiovisual material should not be requested nor do we lend it to other libraries
- Fiction and children’s books are not to be requested on interlending
- Reserved and reference materials
- A whole journal
How do I know if the book or article has arrived?
- Articles received electronically will be dispatched electronically to user’s e-mail address. Clients will also be notified by e-mail if books have arrived.
How do I collect & return interlibrary loan books?
- Books are collected at the interlibrary loan office at level 5, room-5-21. A request form must be completed and signed for the ILL officer to file
- Return: books must be returned to ILL office, level 5, room 5-21. The user's signature serves as proof that the item has been returned.
How do I renew books?
- The renewal of ILL material depends on the restrictions set by the lending library. If you want to renew, you must contact the responsible ILL officer at least three working days before the material is due.
What happens if I lose an interlibrary loan book?
- The user is responsible to pay an amount equal to the price of the book plus R100 admin fee
- Uncooperative clients will be blacklisted.
What are your business hours?
- The Interlibrary loans office is open from 07:30-16:00 on: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday and from 08:30-16:00 on Tuesday.